Gaited Horses Forum
November 27, 2014, 06:33:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New Board - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wormer overdose  (Read 3477 times)
Tamian
« on: March 06, 2004, 12:49:22 AM »

I had a bad thing happen tonight.  I was worming with the Equimax wormer for tapeworms etc. and had everything laid out and going down the line.  My grandson grabbed for the tubes, knocked them down and I right away scolded and washed his hands.  When I went back to resume I thought he had pulled the plunger out on the tube, and was using the tail ends of the tubes to worm my minis with.  I administered that tube with the pulled out plunger to a mini.  My hubby came over to get the tube for Smoothie - a full grown horse and to my horror we could not find it and all I can deduce is that I administered a full tube of wormer for a 1,320 lb. horse to a mini.  Tonto is a bit fat, but he taped at 375 lbs.  I was sick and immediately called the vet.  I was told that there was virtually no way to retrieve the wormer and that he thought maybe the mini would be okay.  He had a case during the summer where someone administered three times the dose of ivermectin to a foal and it slept for 36 hours but then was okay.  Ivermectin acts as a sedative if it crosses the blood/brain barrier, he said.  He said it would start affecting the mini in a matter of hours.  So I have been checking on him and so far he is fine.  I feel so horrible and so guilty.  I hope my mistake won't hurt my mini.  The vet reassured me that he thought he would be okay because ivermectin goes to the fat cells and the fact my mini is fat is a positive.  He told me that for sure that mini won't have a live bug in him.  Sheesh.  Of all the stupid things for me to do!!!  Please keep my mini in your prayers that he pulls through the excessive worming okay.  I don't think I will sleep at all tonight.  And that with hiding my head in my covers, because I have never felt worse about anything than I do about this.  What a stupid mistake.  
tnwlkr43
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2004, 02:01:59 AM »

Tamian, I know this is not going help much, but try to relax, dont beat yourself up, it was an accident and things do happen, we cant be perfect animals owners, or for that matter perfect at anything, its impossible...accidents and mistakes happen.  But I know how you feel I would be too.  It does sound like the vet is positive about it, and that is good.  You know when they test these wormer medicine, from what I understand they give a horse unusal amounts to see what effects it might have.  I have always heard that if you give to much that it wont hurt them, what hurts though if you give way to much and they are full of worms.  Most wormers are supposedly very safe.  My thoughts and prayers are with you both.  Are there things you have to be watching for.  I am at work, so I will be up all night if you need someone to chit chat with...Keep me posted. And again go easy on yourself...try not to feel too bad about it, we have all done things before....
Joanna
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2004, 07:08:48 AM »

Tamian,

I agree, don't beat yourself up. We all know you would never hurt your mini intentionally. Trust your vet and try to relax. Please keep us updated.

Joanna
Holly
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2004, 08:16:18 AM »

Most wormers have a safety net built into them.  Panacur especially - you can give at least five times the normal dosage of Panacur without worrying about it.  Most wormers are like this.

Kysa
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2004, 08:35:10 AM »

I went to a horse owners meeting yesterday put on by my vet.  De-wormers were discussed.  Of course, you want to go with the right dosage, and minis are the one's that often get too much.  BUT, he said that a mini that got 26 X the dose is the only horse ever proven to die from the new tape de-wormer.  And Quest Plus doses at 2.5 mg/kg Praziquantel.  Equimax is only 1.5 mg/kg Praziquantel.

ALL the current de-wormers have passed safety checks at FIVE times the recommended dosage.  So, don't do it on a regular basis, but he should be fine.
Kathy in Oregon
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2004, 12:06:18 PM »

Tamian

I'll be thinking of your mini til I hear he's okay, which I'm sure he will be.  Perhaps a bit of probiotic might help him for a few days?  

Stop beating yourself up dear.  

Kathy
Tamian
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2004, 09:18:06 PM »

Tonto is fine.  The vet said if he was fat it would be a good thing, because ivermectin goes for the fat cells.  He got to eat himself silly last night on hay per the vet.  But he never displayed any ill effects whatsoever.  Not diahrrea, not colic, nothing.  I do keep all horses wormed, good thing he didn't have an overabundance of worms because I doubt there is so much as a live egg left in there, huh.  I'm just real happy he is fine, I was worried to death about him.
tnwlkr43
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2004, 01:18:26 PM »

Tamian I am so glad everything is good, I kinda of had a feeling that it would be.  Like you said though if he had of been wormy that would have been a whole different ball game.  Bet he thought he was heaven when he got to pig out on all that hay Grin
nova
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2004, 07:52:33 AM »

Glad to hear your little guy is fine. My Daughters horse  an Appy got a double dose of worm med. already when my friend who has her horse here took a tube up and wormed him, why I dont know we had done are 3 horses the wormer was for her horse the only one she needed to worm. Needless to say I only buy my 3 wormers now and let her buy her own and give it to her horse. Best way I know so this doesnt happen again. the horse was fine with it. I think it would take more than something like that , they must have it figured out.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: