Gaited Horses Forum
April 24, 2014, 09:02:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New Board - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Crest Ridge Saddle  (Read 17042 times)
softstor
« on: June 15, 2004, 02:28:38 PM »

Does anyone have any experience with the Crest Ridge Saddle?  It was suggested that I consider this saddle for my Missouri Fox Trotter with sore withers.  I'm interested in knowing if anyone has any input on this saddle.
Vanna
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2004, 06:33:43 AM »

Hello,
I have experience with Crest Ridge saddles and I can tell you that it has been totally positive.

What is the conformation of your horse's back? I wonder what type of saddle you are using that has been problematic.

My Tennessee Walker is a mutton withered guy and I tried the following saddles without much success:  Tucker (one of the worst fits, it bridged terribly); Tennessean Lite Rider (fit just OK but terrible quality leather); Circle Y flex tree and a host of other saddles of all ages and makes to no avail.

Frankly I was about to give up and just drive my walker with a cart and forget riding.  I saw a post some time ago on this board about Crest Ridge and decided to try one.
Voila!!  Much to my surprise it fit not only Mr. Mutton withers but my other horse as well.  

The owner of this saddlry has a lot of experience with saddles and fitting gaited horses and seems to have the key to a decent fit. Others might claim to be gaited horse saddle makers but they are not.

These are good quality saddles at a fair price.  I would have paid a lot more to get a good fit but didn't have to.  By the way they are comfortable for the rider as well.

Crest Ridge will want a wither tracing to help you the very best and their website has easy to follow directions on how to do this.

You will NOT find better customer service anywhere.  They treat everyone like you were their one and only customer.  I hope this will help.  V
le_kataoka
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2004, 02:54:57 PM »

I can also attest to the excellent customer service provided by Crest Ridge Saddles. I have talked to them many times and they have always been happy to answer any/all questions I had.  They seem very committed to making customers and horses happy. I am eagerly awaiting my saddle and I can't wait to see how it works on my narrow TWH. Good luck!
softstor
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2004, 02:59:28 PM »

Thanks for all of the info.  I just ordered my saddle today.  Hopefully I will be able to ride with this saddle.
G8tedSaddles
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2004, 06:21:47 PM »

Lucy,

You will sure love the new "Guffey" I sure do love mine!

I use my old one on Ms. Annie's Fannie (my Mollie Mule) and then I use my new black one on Mr. Traveler! He looks so handsome in it!!!

I talked with James just now, yours will be finished by Monday!

Debra in Arkansas
SeesSpots
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2004, 09:06:36 PM »

Out of curiousity, how long is the tree warranteed for?
G8tedSaddles
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2004, 09:49:47 PM »

The tree is warranteed  for a full 5 years on all of the saddles.
Kysa
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2004, 10:14:17 PM »

Kate,
Since you can have one shipped to you to try on G, I say "do it".  Jenn will be there at the barn to give an opinion.  Yes, shipping saddles back and forth can get expensive, but I think this would be worth a try, and it is a saddle your hubby would agree to try--although he might be kind of cute in a dressage saddle!
SeesSpots
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2004, 07:04:45 AM »

Gee Kysa, you reading my mind or what?!?  Shipping saddles back and forth is far less costly than buying them and finding out they don't work.  

Not sure I could get Jenn to spend an entire day taking me & g up to RI. I could pay her for her time and gas, but that would be as expensive as shipping a saddle back and forth (but I can hope I would only have to ship one way!)

Deb - I just sent you an email.  TTYL
cowgirlup
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2004, 06:42:46 PM »

:Bhorse:. I ordered a saddle and it came in Tuesday I tried it on my missouri fox trotter mare and it fit her like a glove. We had to order a wide saddle for our other fox trotter cause he is a round barrel. What I can say so far is that their customer service is great and Deb has been a great help. She is very knowledgable about the size shape and how the gaited horse conformation works.
cowgirlup
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2004, 04:46:18 PM »

:sF:. Well for those of you wanting to know how well that saddle fits we went on a great 1 1/2 ride and my mare likes her new Crest Ridge saddle and it was very comfortable for a new saddle for me. I have also tried alot of different saddles and this is a great one.
TKW
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2004, 07:51:16 PM »

I just purchased a Crest Ridge Saddle.  I have a 17.1, high withered SSH gelding.  I have had a Big Horn high withered saddle and a Dakota Gaited saddle.  Each worked but no room for much movement in the withers.  I LOVE THIS SADDLE!!!  I can place my whole hand between his withers and the saddle.  Now I can lean forward in the saddle without him picking up speed.  He is gaiting much better, and he really has some gaiting problems.  The saddle is very comfortable to ride in also.  I am saving up to buy another one, for the other SSH.  I have not tried this on any other horses.  But for my gelding, it is Great.  Tami
Carousel Belle
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2004, 07:39:09 AM »

Hi - I am new to this board (as of yesterday!), but have been reading posts and learning a lot from everyone here for the past year or so.  This site REALLY is a wonderful resource for gaited horse owners.   :BBok:.  

I'm an avid eBayer, and noticed an auction for Crest Ridge saddles.  I remembered reading about them on this site and went back to check the info. I found nothing but praise for this brand, and decided this saddle just might work for my high withered, pronounced back TWH Casey. (I'd never even heard the term "pronounced back" in saddle fitting advice before talking with Debra!)  I contaced her yesterday, and was so impressed with their customer service and her fitting knowlege.  She even took my inquiry phone call while she was on an all day trail ride!  How's that for service?  Well, many phone calls back and forth later, I have the Guffy saddle on order for my husband and Casey.  I am sooo excited to get this saddle, I can hardly wait for the delivery man so I can test it out. Even my husband got excited when I showed him their website and his (hopefully) new saddle.  He's a motorcycle man at heart, but rides with me often to support my riding addiction.  Yes, he's definitely a keeper!  :Wave:.  

Well, this post is long enough. Thanks again everyone for such great information on this site.  It's bookmarked as a favorites on my computer.

Carousel Belle

G8tedSaddles
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2004, 04:30:30 PM »

Hey Carlyce! Welcome to the Gaited Horses Net!

The term is pronounced back bone though and about 30% of Walking Horses have it. It is when you cannot ride the horse bareback with out a pad comfortably because their back bone is very prominent. These horses need to have a special tree to relieve the pressure up and off the spine that is usually covered in muscle. This for the most part is never an issue unless the rider is on the heavy side or requires a 17 in seat, OR is a very avid rider. If you have ever ridden behind a Walking Horse when he is doing a running walk you will see the saddle on the back skirt swaying back and forth typical of the long strided Walkers. With a heavy rider this can create fricton and with it comes heat and if left unattended long enough will create rubbing sores. Our tree addresses the issue when the customer brings it to our attention as they order.

Send me a photo of your new Guffey Carlyce!

Debra in Arkansas

walkhorselover
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2004, 05:12:16 PM »

Count me in! I just ordered my Crest Ridge Saddle.  I can't wait! After 10 different saddles, finally, I hope I found one that will fit Savannah.
Debra, customer service is wonderful and you inspire trust in those of us who depend on a knowledgeable saddle fitter.
I could tell by the questions and answers, you know your saddles.
Thank you again.
Terrie
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: