Gaited Horses Forum
October 31, 2014, 03:32:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New Board - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: New used saddle- Ortho Flex?  (Read 11313 times)
Sherry in CA
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2007, 01:25:22 PM »

I hope this does work out for you.

I might be careful with ANY saddle fitting a down hill built horse.  I think they are just harder to keep comfortable.

I have been riding in my patriot, but I simply use the booty that came with it & a thin liner.  It appears to fit several of my horses (Peruvian Paso's).  Two of my Peruvians have very prominent spines & this saddle seems to work fine on them with no added padding.  It's true that I don't usually ride for hour & hours, but so far so good.  I've even tried it on my rather flat backed & round Peruvian 3 y.o. filly, & she seemed fine with it.  None of these horses are built down hill though.
blrmkr744

I am a GAITED MULE FAN!!!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2007, 09:50:35 PM »

I recently saw a very interesting saddle similar to an orthoflex. I have never tried one, just saw pictures and they look beautiful. They do cost alot less than an Orthoflex. Look up a place called Saddleranch.

Never brag about your mule!
cascadia
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2007, 11:27:05 AM »

I've bought and sold about 25 used ortho-flex saddles. They are my hobby. My favorite tree is the one in the Caliente, Express Lite, Aussie Outback (same tree in all three). Although I liked the Patriot, I much prefer the Express Lite. It was a better fit for my short-backed horses.  I got my dad a Black 17 Express Lite with horn, he is 77 and this saddle enables him to still enjoy the trails.  The thigh blocks are comfy and the tree has a narrow twist (doesn't affect the fit to the horse-- but keeps your pelvis from being spread too far-- so helps prevent him and knee strain) With both saddles I like that they have a supportive pommel and cantle like a western but are lightweight like English. The Patriot, in my opinion is better suited for a longer back. It also has stirrup position that is more forward, perfect for sitting a nice gait but not so great for posting. I just prefer the leg postion and "feel" and fit of the Express Lite.  But I am ALWAYS trying out different OF saddles!  Crazy hobby!  But at least I don't have to feed the saddles!  
Sherry in CA
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2007, 06:03:01 PM »

not so great for posting

I can well imagine, LOL!!!  But then it's been awhile since I had to post & really don't want to any more.

Yep, it IS a crazy hobby & I'm a bit into it myself, except I like SO many types & brands!  I never thought of that....not having to feed em.  Think I'll tell that one to hubby, LOL!!
suz1023

I'm a Gaited Horses FAN!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2012, 07:24:32 PM »

hey is it too late to get this conversation started again?

i bought an older ortho flex off of craigslist and i haven't seen one like it anywhere yet.
it's a brown english all purpose style and i hope it works for my lordotic saddlebred.
the seat is so wide and comfortable, i really hope it fits him as well.
i had to replace the billets on one side so am getting around to trying it tomorrow.
what is the name of the english style? anyone know?
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: