Gaited Horses Forum
October 24, 2014, 10:25:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New Board - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Freeform saddles , treeless saddle  (Read 2489 times)
whitefoxtrotter

I'm a Gaited Horses FAN!

View Profile
« on: November 20, 2008, 05:15:26 PM »

I am looking at purchasing a treeless saddle , I really like the information I've read about Freeform saddles , does everyone like them and is there a better choice?  My foxtrotter is very sensative and has a sore back after every ride using my Rocking R and Dixieland saddle won't stay in place , slides back.  Huh?
GHWebmaster
GH WebMaster
Administrator

Never Stop Learning

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 06:21:58 PM »

I am not an advocate of a treeless saddle. In my opinion the saddle is supposed to spread the weight of the rider over the largest surface possible. Something I cannot see working without anything IN the saddle to do so.

Your saddle(s) probably do not conform to the shape of your horses back. You would need to get a saddle that did, and there are several manufacturers who specialize in these fittings - many advertise here you can click on their links on the tiles above or below, or you can go with the Trooper Saddle and avoid putting pressure on the side of the spine altogether. Those saddles rest lower - more on the sides of the horse. I really like the one I got one a while ago from T&F Saddlery - they are above in the tiles - and it suits many of the horses here to a T. Comfortable for both me and the horses.  I have CRS saddles too, and I do like them. You have top match the saddle to the horse in their lines, they will guide you as to the model you would need.

--
Beverly

--
Beverly
----------------
The Site for the SMOOTH Ride Enthusiast! http://www.GaitedHorses.net/
Meadowlanemiss

I'm a Gaited Horses FAN!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 10:02:30 PM »

I have a Trekker treeless.  It has movable panels underneath (attached by very strong velcro) so you can adjust the width of the spine channel to your horse.  The panels serve to keep the rider's weight off the spine and disperse the weight.  I've found that this saddle is most secure on horses with significant withers.  I wouldn't try mounting onto it from the ground but this isn't a problem for me because, being 54 years old and 5'2", I can't get on any of my horses from the ground anyway.   Cheesy  
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 10:03:24 PM by Meadowlanemiss » Logged
whitefoxtrotter

I'm a Gaited Horses FAN!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 07:12:59 PM »

Well I bought a Freeform saddle , the endurance trail model and it is absolutely wonderful!  The leather is so soft and flexable , the quality is unbeatable and it is only about 10 pounds .  I put it on my big hard to fit foxtrotter today and it stayed in place when I mounted , when she jumped sideways , and it formed to her back within minutes.  I'm convinced this is the last saddle I will ever need. I've always had big 30 pound western saddles , and didn't think I'd be comfortable in anything smaller. To my surprise , I feel very safe in it .  
pasobeth
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 11:11:23 AM »

I've ridden in treeless saddles for the past 12 years and I will never go back to a hard saddle again.  I put on mega miles trailriding and ride at a good endurance pace over mountains (not hills) and all other terain.  I have ridden in a Freeform saddle and found it to be well built and comfortable - however, the one I demo-ed had knee rolls and I personally do not like them.  Chris Martin, who sells the Freeform saddles also makes another treeless called the Bandos and I have one of those and really like it.  As for weight distribution only YOU can distribute your weight on a horse.  The best fitting saddle in the world will make a horse sore with a "passenger" riding.  When hack string horses get sore most people think it's from poor fitting saddles and sometimes it is, however, most times, on a really GOOD hacklines where the horses are kept for years because of their dependability, the wranglers make sure those saddles fit those (valuable) horses and the horses STILL get sore backs because they are essentially "pack" horses.  They are packing dead weight for all intensive purposes.

With treless you need to use the correct pads.  And yes, I owned a Trekker and that is one of the few treeless that does not require a special pad because it of the built-in bars for spine clearance.  I bought that saddle specifically for a high withered paso fino mare.  My Bob Marshall did not fit her, but the Trekker did.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 12:33:07 PM by pasobeth » Logged
Skyanne

I'm a Gaited Horses FAN!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 10:53:10 AM »

I have to add that I have a Bob Marshall treeless saddle on my Rocky, and I would never go back to a treed saddle either. We went through 14 saddles, because nothing fit him well, or was just too heavy for me as I have Rheumatoid arthritis.
The Bob Marshall was the first saddle that he relaxed with, the deep seat makes me feel very secure and I can tack him up by myself.
I urge anyone with a hard to fit horse to try a treeless, many of them, like Bob Marshall, have a wonderful 14 day trial period with full return.
diane13
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 12:25:59 PM »

hey y'all!
I've got Hilason treeless saddle and I love it! treeless saddles are very comfortable. It was hard to find a treed saddle that would fit my Arabian mare. When I bought the Hilason treeless saddle, I was so happy. They are durable and considering my budget Hilason ones are actually afforable too. Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: