Gaited Horses Forum
December 20, 2014, 12:54:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New Board - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What gait is the smoothest?  (Read 2531 times)
Andrea
« on: July 21, 2003, 08:22:31 AM »

I am just wondering what everybody's opinion is on what breed of horse has the smoothest gait? Rumor has it that the Paso Fino is the world's smoothest horse? I have ridden the running walk, fox-trot and single-foot. Of these three I feel the RW is the smoothest, but prefer the single-foot for the speed that goes with it.

I would just love to get the chance to ride every gaited breed of horse!
Joanna
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2003, 08:38:09 AM »

Andrea,

I really think that it depends on the individual horse. My Paso's stepping pace is smooth but not as smooth as my MFTs fox trot.

I really don't know that one gait can be said to be smoother than the next. I believe it depends on the conformation & training of the individual horse.

Joanna
jaxomrua
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2003, 08:46:19 AM »

Andrea,

You're probably going to get a lot of 'opinions' on this one.......  I'm going to agree with Joanna - depends on the horse.

I have a Paso Fino and a TWH.  Between the two....I'd say my paso is smoother.  BUT - I haven't actually had my TWH in his RW for any length of time to actually be able to 'compare' (he's been naughty and trotting!)

Recently, however - my paso has taken to trotting as well (I'm sure he learn it from my TWH!  Angry ) So NEITHER of my horses is 'smooth'!  But.....we're working on that! Grin
LuvMyRocky
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2003, 10:11:27 AM »

I agree with what everyone else has said. I think it depends on the individual horse and his/her conformation.

I have not ridden any of the Paso breeds (but would love to!), but of the gaited horses that I have ridden extensively in my life (TWH/SSH and Saddlebred), I would say that my Rocky Mountain Horse has the smoothest gait.

BUT...that is not to say that there might note be a RMH out there that has a sloppier gait than some TWH, etc.  I don't think there is a right or wrong breed, just as there is not a smooth versus comfortable breed.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2003, 10:11:56 AM by LuvMyRocky » Logged
Stoney
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2003, 10:48:37 PM »

Andrea,

Which gait is the smoothest... why the one that I'm riding when I feel like I'm just sittin' there... of course...

[shadow=Red,45,50]
Stoney[/shadow]
[/color]you didn't really think that there was an 'answer' to this, did you? <grin>
[/color][/font]
SeesSpots
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2003, 06:09:42 AM »

Here it is in motion  Grin Now if I can only get him to perform this while I'm in the saddle, lol.

I agree with everyone here, it depends on the individual horse - so many variables in conformation, training, rider's abilities, etc.  My advice is to ride them all until you find the one that fits!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: